Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sweet Potatoes

For my first time at making Jack's food, I decided to try sweet potatoes. I have heard they are pretty easy to make, so I gave it a shot, and it ended up turning out really good, and it was super easy.

First start with some sweet potatoes
Since this was my first time making sweet potatoes, I had no idea how many to buy and how much one potato would make. I started with 3 small/medium size sweet potatoes.

Go ahead and give them a good scrub, and then peal
Cut into small chunks and place in pot
Fill the pot with water, about 3/4 of the way full
Let boil until they are tender, about 10 minutes or so. Before you drain them, get a coffee cup and take out some water. You will use this to help thin out while your are pureeing the potatoes. Since the water will have nutrients from the potatoes, you can add them back in to get the consistency you want.

Start to blend. Try not to put too many in the food processor. I think I filled it a little to much, and it was a little hard to get them all blended together. Here is where you can add as much water as needed. I ended up adding about 3/4 of a coffee cup.
Here is where you are going to need the ice cube trays. I purchased these at Target, I read somewhere that you can find some with lids. I think I am going to look for those this weekend, as the plastic wrap was hard to get to stick and stay closed tight.

Fill each ice cube pod with the mixture
Try to get the plastic as tight as you can. Then place in freezer overnight.

Today when I got home from work, I took out the trays and popped out the cubes of sweet potatoes. This part was kinda hard, so I enlisted the help of my husband (I knew his strength would come in handy). I then filled a freezer bag up. Remember to date and label what is in there.
Next came the taste test by my trusty little taste tester. I first had no idea how he would do, so I warmed up just one square. I heated in the microwave for about 25 seconds...he inhaled it! So I heated up 2 more for about 40 seconds and he gobbled that up just as fast. I think we have a winner!


All in all, I would call this a very successful first baby food making experience. From start to finish it only took about an hour and I was able to make about 10-12 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment